School Support Services

Hours of Operation

Monday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Thursday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed


USAG Yongsan, Main Post
Bldg 1560


Military DSN Tel:

Write an ICE comment

School Support Services provides Army school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child & Youth Services (CYS), School Support Services features School Liaison Officers (SLOs), who help schools, installations and Families work together for student achievement.


 SLOs are your best support in the area of education, schools and military transitions. SLOs are knowledgeable in current education news and policies. They act as the conduit between the school community – including local public school districts, private schools and home school Families – and the installation.

How do they do it? By

◦Helping schools understand the challenges military Families face

◦Informing parents about local school policies

◦Giving Families information about local schools, graduation requirements, after school programs, youth sponsorship and homeschooling

◦Connecting units and schools through partnership initiatives

◦Conducting workshops to help parents navigate educational transition and advocate for their children

◦Providing an array of resources that benefit military youth and improve school experiences

When Do I Need a SLO?

Getting ready to move:

  • Information about your upcoming duty station and educational options in your new community
  • Connection to a youth sponsor who can answer your child’s questions from a youth’s perspective
  • Assistance with the steps to prepare for your children’s departure from their current schools


Once you are arrive:

  • Assistance with school registration and transition
  • Help with questions about compliance and solutions regarding the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
  • Two way communication between the school and parent
  • Connection with homeschool co-ops or support groups


During your assignment:

  • Answers to your questions about schools, homeschooling, special education, scholarships, transitions and more.
  • Parent education opportunities about college and career readiness, preparing for transition and the Interstate Compact 

To ease the transition, contact your SLO as soon as you get orders.

Finding a School

Finding a new school and registering your child can be confusing. 

We can help.

Our SLOs give you information on local schools so you can find the best fit for you and your family.   They can also help you with everything you need to register – and can answer other questions, too. Contact our office and to get more detailed information.

Research-based Characteristics of Quality Schools 

Most schools share fundamental characteristics that prepare students for the future. Research shows that the most effective schools are more alike than they are different. Here is some information about what to look for in quality schools:

Youth Sponsorship

Does your child have 101 questions about your next duty station? Let a youth sponsor answer them!

Youth sponsors connect with children before arrival at a new duty station, provide them with information about their new communities and answer questions from a youth perspective – while being guided by adults in the CYS youth program and the schools.

Once you arrive, a youth sponsor will meet your child and can arrange community and school tours.

If you're preparing for a PCS move, contact your SLO today to sign up for a youth sponsor.

School Registration for SY 2018-2019

Department of Defense Education Activity-Pacific (DoDEA-P) is available for families with school-age children assigned to USAG Yongsan. Schools include:

·         Seoul American Elementary School (grades K-5)

·         Seoul American Middle High School (grades 6-12)

Find out more about DODEA-PAC West


School Registration

Imbed this video here:

DoDEA Online Registration for Students (DORS)

A child must be five years old by September 1 to enroll in kindergarten. The change aligns DoDEA with national trends as well as the age requirement in many military-impacted states. A child must be four years old by September 1 to attend pre-kindergarten or Sure Start and six years old by September 1 to attend first grade.

What is required for enrollment?

1. Birth Certificate

2. Shot Record

3. Social Security Number

4. Copy of the child’s physical exam

5. Proof of Parent/Custodian address

6. Copy of orders (on post schools)

7. Custody or guardian papers filed through the court. (if applicable)

How do I enroll for school?

For registration packets, please visit this website (hyperlink: or contact the SLO

For more information, please call the district school registrar at DSN: (315) 738-5922 or email

School Choice Options:

Public Korea School Choice: Children between the ages of six and fifteen are required to attend school in South Korea. There are six years of elementary school, three years of junior high school and three years of senior high school. Students typically attend their local elementary and junior high schools; they do not have a great deal of school choice until the end of compulsory education, which is at the end of junior high school.

Home Schools: A host nation, state, commonwealth, or territory where a DoD sponsor is stationed may impose legal requirements or restrictions on home schooling practices. For more info see DoDEA Memorandum for Home Schooling.

Pre-K: Options include Yongsan Child & Youth Services full and part-day Pre-K Strong Beginnings, full and part-day preschool and DoDEA Sure Start (must qualify – complete application through your local Department of Defense Education Activity).


Enroll your children as soon as possible. It is not recommended that you delay enrolling your children when you transition to a new installation. Some families have delayed enrolling their children up to a month and have risked their child repeating a grade.

After you enroll, return to the school and provide the school with updated contact information. Schools often contact USAG Yongsan’s School Support Services trying to find a parent in an emergency because the parent failed to provide updated contact home/work info.

All DoD schools have School Advisory Committees (SAC). The committee advises the principal on matters within the jurisdiction of the school and DoDEA. Contact your School Liaison Officer for more information.


Yongsan School Closures - Transition to the Non-DoD Schools Program (NDSP)

Yongsan Garrison schools will close at the end of the 2018-19 school year as the military population shifts to its new headquarters south of Seoul.

“The decision and request by the command to no longer operate schools in Seoul is based on the pace and requirements of the Yongsan transformation efforts,” the military said in a Press Release


Who is staying in Seoul? The sponsor/employee should work with their leadership to determine if their family will remain in Seoul or transition to Humphreys at the end of the 2018-19 school year.

What is the Non DoD Schools Program? The Non DoD Schools Program (NDSP) provides academic support and funding for the education of authorized command sponsored dependents of the U.S. Department of Defense military members and civilian employees assigned to overseas areas where no U.S. Department of Defense Education Activity School (DoDEA) is available. The program currently serves approximately 3800 students in 131 countries.

If my family will remain in Seoul, where will my kids attend school? If your school-age dependents are authorized to remain in Seoul beyond the DoDEA school closures, then your first step is to determine your eligibility for the Non DoD Schools Program.

Eligibility Criteria

  • Dependent must be command-sponsored; orders or supporting documentation must state that the dependent is authorized to be with the sponsor in Seoul.
  • Sponsor must be a military Service member serving on active duty and stationed overseas on permanent change of station (PCS) orders or a civilian employee of the DoD who is employed in a PCS full-time position, stationed overseas, and is either a citizen or a national of the U.S.
  • Sponsor must be authorized to transport dependent(s) to or from Seoul at the expense of the government.
  • Sponsor must receive an allowance for living quarters in that area, with the "at family" or "with dependent" rate.

Register with the Non DoD Schools Program to validate your eligibility.


Financial Support

Do I have to pay the school and seek reimbursement? The Non DoD Schools Program is a reimbursable program, but for tuition and school-provided transportation, the Program works with you and the school to establish direct payment. This means that you will not be required to pay allowable expenses out of pocket.

Will I have to pay out of pocket expenses? The maximum amount allowed is established by the Department of State and known as the education allowance. The education allowance for Seoul as of November 2018 is K-5 $28250 | 6 -8 $30400 | 9-12 $34700. If the school that you choose charges above this amount for tuition and transportation, then the excess is the sponsor’s responsibility. If the school includes meals, overnight field trips, sport fees, extracurricular fees, or other non-allowable expenses. More info...

Schools charge an application and admissions fee. Do I have to pay for those? While a dependent’s eligibility can be determined in advance, they are not eligible for the program until the DoDEA school closes. Thus, payment for tuition and/or other reimbursements cannot occur until after the DoDEA school has closed. It is advised that the sponsor request that the school delay payments or include in the first tuition invoice. However, we cannot force a school to alter their processes.

School Choice

How do I decide which school to attend? Is there a list of approved schools? The Non DoD Schools Program does not endorse schools. Parents have choice about the school selection. We advise that you review this complete list of guidance for selecting a schools in Seoul.

What if my child has special education needs? Contact your Education Specialist at + 81.98.953.5788/ DSN 315-644-5788 or Lynn Carey. The NDSP will require a copy of the Individualized Education Program and will work with you to determine how comparable special education services. It is also critical to be forthcoming about your child’s needs with the schools.

Why do I have to go through the admissions process? Don’t schools have to accept my child? International schools have their own admission’s criteria. It is strongly advised that you research the schools criteria and timeline. Some schools in Seoul begin admissions in December.

Comparable Spreadsheet of International Schools Information in this spreadsheet has been provided by thirteen international schools that chose to include their information.

Student Transportation

Contact the School Transportation Office (STO) for school bus stop locations and to get a bus pass. A bus pass is required to ride.

Yongsan STO
Phone (DSN): 738-3156
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
School(s) Supported: SAES, SAMHS

Home School Information

The Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) has no jurisdiction over the education of overseas military dependent children.  It is DoDEA policy to neither encourage nor discourage DoD sponsors from home schooling their minor dependents.  DoDEA recognizes that homeschooling is a sponsor’s right and can be a legitimate alternative form of education for their dependents.  According to DoD policy, the installation Commander’s responsibilities are logistical or administrative, there is no educational oversight regarding the public education provided by DoDDS.

DoDEA Homeschooling Policy

There are frequently asked questions among home schoolers:  Whose law do I follow – the state/country where we are stationed, or our state of residence?  What are the military regulations related to homeschooling?  Are there support groups at every installation?  Is there a phone number that I can call to find out about homeschooling on any particular installation?

The Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) has no jurisdiction over the education of overseas American military dependent children.  It is DoDEA policy to neither encourage nor discourage DoD sponsors from home schooling their minor dependents.  DoDEA recognizes that homeschooling is a sponsor’s right and can be a legitimate alternative form of education for their dependents.  According to DoD policy, the installation Commander’s responsibilities are logistical or administrative, there is no educational oversight regarding the public education provided by DoDEA. 

In order for homeschooling to succeed, parents need to have the time and energy to provide instruction on a daily basis and be involved in a local support group.  Numerous avenues of support are usually available, so do some research and get connected with a local support group in your community.  Some parents form groups with other home-schooled families or encourage their children to join community sports teams, clubs, or other groups.  Many families are involved in homeschooling support groups.  These groups of parents share responsibilities, including choosing and adapting curriculum, the actual teaching of the lessons, and some method of grading and evaluating whether the student has learned the necessary lessons. 

What’s best for somebody else’s child may not be best for yours.  Before making a decision, it’s important to gather as much information as you can to find out about the kind of education that would benefit your child the most, whether it’s homeschooling or it’s another kind of school. 

Other Home School Websites:

National Home Education Institute, making informed choices

Getting started in Home Schooling



Research-based Characteristics of Quality Schools 

Most schools share fundamental characteristics that prepare students for the future. Research shows that the most effective schools are more alike than they are different. Here is some information about what to look for in quality schools:

·         Five Key Features of Effective Schools

·         Effective Schools Research Base

·         What is Effective School Research? 

·         The United States Department of Education provides detailed information about choosing a school and offers a great number of resources to help you make an informed decision when choosing a school for your child.

Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find the resources available in your school district. We can also connect you with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office.

Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:


Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.


The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All 50 states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year.

If you feel that you have an issue that the Compact can help address talk with your SLO.  The SLO is able to assist by connecting with both the sending and receiving school to assist in resolving the issue.  If it is not possible to resolve the issue locally, the SLO will help you work with the state commission, and if needed, the national office.

Post-Secondary Support

Our support doesn’t end with K-12th grade education. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.


The US Department of Veteran’s Affairs provides information about Military-Specific and Government Academic Support G.I. Bill

The Transferability of Educational Benefits for the Post 9/11 GI Bill are very specific. The Defense Manpower Data Center, through MilConnect will guide you through the transfer process and your eligibility to do so.  Speak with an Education Counselor prior to making this election in order to ensure you understand the benefit.

In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service-members, active duty for a period of more than 30 days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service-member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965 (pdf) apply.


·         Seoul American Elementary School

·         Seoul American Middle High School

·         DoDEA Korea Pacific-West District

·         DoDEA Pacific

·         DoDEA Headquarters

·         DoDEA School Attendance Policy

·         DoDEA Virtual High School

·         DoDEA Educational Partnership

·         Parent Guides to DoDEA Curriculum

·         GradeSpeed

·         School Meal Plan


Other School Resources:

·         Military OneSource

·         Military Child Education Coalition

·         Military Interstate Children’s Compact Commission

·         Military Impacted Schools Association

·         Council of Chief State School Officers

·         Home Schooling Legal Defense Association


Academic Resources: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than 40 core subjects and standardized test preparation.

Homework Support: Army Child Youth & School Services provides Homework Labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center.

Khan Academy:

A personalized learning resource for all ages Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, SAT and more.   

Support/Resilience Resources:

School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.


Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free nonmedical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child and Youth Services programs, and in highly impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free nonmedical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, on the phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Ready and Resilient Workshops for youth and educators are offered through the SLO and Youth Center programs. These workshops provide educators and students with the same tools Soldiers receive through their Ready and Resilient training. As Master Resilience Trainers SLOs strive to develop a common language around resilience for educators, youth and their parents.


College and Career Readiness Resources:

College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in postsecondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework. These links have tools that will help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:


Army Educational Outreach Program (AEOP) provides STEM opportunities for military connected youth. The website provides information about AEOP programs available to youth, scholarship opportunities, news, and ways to get involved. Scholarship Finder provides a search engine to help you find money for your child’s higher education needs. Search over 1000 scholarships intended for military youth. They also have a Military Scholarship Handbook.

School Support Services Scholarship Database Listing of crowd sourced scholarships for military connected youth. Scholarships are listed in alphabetical order and provide information on deadlines and qualifications


Other Family and MWR School Services:

Homework Centers
(for grades K-12) Create a safe and familiar before- and after-school academic support environment in school-age and youth centers.

School Youth Sponsorship Programs
Ease school transitions in CONUS and OCONUS schools. School youth sponsorship programs are either grass root efforts that have a variety of names or part of the Army contracted Student to Student/Jr. Student to Student programs described below.

Student to Student (S2S)™
(9-12 grades)  Offers student-led and faculty-sponsored school-based  peer support  program for mobile military students transitioning in and out of schools with large military student populations.  School team training provided by the Military Child Education Coalition through a centrally funded Army enterprise contract.

Jr. Student to Student (JS2S)™
(6-8 grades)  Offers the Middle School component of the S2S™ program.  School team training provided by the Military Child Education Coalition through a centrally funded Army enterprise contract.

Parent to Parent Cadres™
(K-12 grades) Provides teams of trained parent coaches at high impact installations to help parents understand the academic, social and emotional implications of school moves.  Parent Coaches work with school personnel and installation School Liaison Officers to facilitate smooth take offs and landings for mobile military students. Cadres are managed by the Military Child Education Coalition through a centrally funded Army enterprise contract.

Special Education Leaders Institute
(K-12 grades) Promotes awareness and increases the availability of professional educators who understand the challenges associated with transitioning mobile military-connected students with special needs. This two-day training is provided by the Military Child Education Coalition through a centrally funded Army contract.

Transition Counselor Institute™
(K-12 grades)  Provides an interactive professional development institute with a focus on the military-connected child’s experience with transitions, trauma and loss to  public, private, parochial, homeschool and Department of Defense guidance counselors and other educators; installation and community leaders; transition specialists and military parents.  The Institute addresses deployment and separation, building confidence and resiliency and supporting children through trauma and loss. Provided by the Military Child Education Coalition through a centrally funded Army enterprise contract.

Living in the New Normal Training and Practicum
Provide Families and caregivers with tools to help children bounce back from life’s storms and stressors, foster community support efforts and provide concerned adults with information to help support children during times of uncertainty, trauma and loss.  Provided by the Military Child Education Coalition through a centrally funded Army enterprise contract.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Unique Military Child Identifier? Numerous states have enacted a voluntary report-only self-identification of military children within their public school systems. This data collection would allow monitoring of critical elements such as academic progress and proficiency, special and advanced program participation, mobility and dropout rates. Requirements and method of collection vary from state to state.

Impact Aid

Many local school districts across the United States include within their boundaries parcels of land that are owned by the Federal Government.  They must provide a quality education to the children living on the Indian and other Federal lands while sometimes operating with less local revenue than is available to other school districts, because the Federal property is exempt from local property taxes. 

Congress has provided financial assistance to these local school districts through the Impact Aid Program. Each year Military members and Federal employees complete a Survey Form. The amount of Impact Aid – or federal assistance –received is determined by the number of eligible parents/guardians who complete the survey form. It partially compensates school districts affected by federal activity for local tax losses resulting from tax-free federal installations.

Impact Aid

Impact Aid FAQs for parents


Non-DoD School Program (NDSP)

At overseas/international locations where there is not a Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) school, NDSP supports a variety of options for your children, ranging from public or private schools to homeschool programs.  NDSP has a team of education specialists who are available to provide transition and educational support and coordination for all students, including those with special needs. Sponsors are encouraged contact the NDSP as soon as possible for specific school information. 


Phone Number +1 (571)372-5863 or +1 (571)372-1897